Wednesday, October 3, 2018

SEO Happens - A Bump in the Road

So I had a follow up article for my previous blog post on finding a ClickBank  niche and it got deleted in a format of my hard drive as I reinstalled windows.

Before everybody starts jabbering about 'backing up your work' please keep in mind: I did back everything up and I'm just to lazy to retrieve it at this time. True story - happened right here in Baton Rouge.

Besides, I want to do something different.  I want to do a case study on SEO and PLR articles.  Yes, you heard me right and before anybody starts whining about duplicate content please here me out.

Let's Do an SEO Test on PLR Articles

So what is a PLR article? It's a private label rights article, which loosely translated is an article you can buy and get resale rights on. Do a quick search on google for PLR Articles and you'll get plenty of hits. You can find them for free also. Check out this database of PLR articles

Let's look at this free PLR article:

Title: Car Repair Prices Why Your Oil Change Is Never Just An Oil Change

First paragraph:
For a repair shop, there is little profit in the $29.95 oil change. By the time a shop pays its technician, pays for the oil, the filter, and the hazardous waste disposal fees, there’s no money left.

Copy and paste the first paragraph into Google and here are the search results:




Top 2 pages ranking for a copy and paste of first paragraph (they had to match the article):

http://www.barrtransmission.com/car-repair-prices-why-your-oil-change-is-never-%E2%80%9Cjust-an-oil-change%E2%80%9D

and

http://rivr.sulekha.com/adwords_1456180

Just a footnote...according to the second URL this article is about 11 years old! Wow...

Now this part of the test is really biased as Google is just looking for a match to what I put in for a search.

Looking at the copy the key word this article is trying to rank for is oil change.  It is mentioned 3 times, twice in the title, and once in the first paragraph plus it has the LSI keywords to back it up. So how do these websites rank for the word oil change across the net?  Let's find out...

I enter the URL of the first website in LinkAssistant's Rank Tracker




Since the website isn't mine I skip the second part



These are some of the keywords that Rank Tracker recommends



I noticed that in the list the keyword 'oil change' was not present and all the words it did list were not the ones I was looking for.  So I deleted all of these keywords and simply put the one word I was looking for in its place - oil change.

Final Result


The site is not ranking for the keyword oil change at all - at least not in the top 50.  Are there any backlinks to their pages contain this article? According to SEO SpyGlass the answer is no, however, looking at the base URL for http://www.barrtransmission.com/ the answer is 128 plus 56,100 more.


A lot of those links lead to 404 pages...Looks like this site use to sell products or offer digital downloads of the espanol variety.

The Test for PRL Ranking

The article is not half bad for an 11 year old piece of work.  It offers some common sense tips on changing oil.  If someone were to :

1. Put it on a car site
2. Add a table of contents with at least 1 heading containing the word "oil change"
3. Have another article on the website linking to it (contextual)
4. Add some pictures and a video of an oil change
5. A few backlinks from some medium to high DA sites?  Maybe?

We'll Never Know Unless We Try

In my next article we'll build that website I was talking about in my last article and also play around with the SEO PowerSuite a bit more.




No comments:

Post a Comment